Cooking with Beer: Chocolate Stout Cake

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What's Brewing

Soon, the Saison is going to get bottled. It'll be going into 12 oz bottles and will get cellared for a good amount of time. I'm also thinking of pitching some new yeast at bottling to assure carbonation.

I decided on going a little classier than Saison du Boner, on the off chance I want to give a bottle to a coworker or two. I made a quick label, so I can slap 'em on so I know what's what since this might be getting some extended cellaring.


Decided on Iris since the song by the Goo Goo Dolls holds meaning for my girlfriend and I. Awwwww.

My next project is going to be a double IPA. Brewday is tentatively Sunday and it'll be ready a few weeks later. I'm thinking of kegging this one since IPAs are always better on tap.

Batch size: 5.5 gallons (brewing some extra because with highly hopped beers, you can expect to lose some final volume due to hop sediment)

Malt bill:
15# US 2-row 93.8%
1# US Caramel 40L 6.3%

Keeping it simple with an easy grain bill. Nothing but base malt with a bit of caramel for color adjustment/head retention.

Hops:
Citra @ 60 min
Citra @ 30 min
Citra @ 15 min
Citra @ 5 min

All Citra hops for this one. Citra is a high alpha hop that gives a citrusy fruit character along with some tropical fruit character.

White Labs WLP001 - California Ale Yeast

Extras:
Yeast Nutrient

I also am going to be making a yeast starter for this guy because of the high gravity of this brew.

The final stats on this should be:
OG: 1.080
FG: 1.018
8.4% ABV
77.9 IBU (should change, depending on the alpha content of the hops Rebel Brewer sends)
8.3 SRM

Sounds fun. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment